Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Entering into the Chaos


One of the places I was looking forward to most on our trip to Israel was the Jordan River, the site of Jesus’ baptism. The story of Jesus’ baptism has become an important story in our life together at Boston Square as we seek to be mindful each week of the gift of baptism, as we seek to grow in our awareness of our baptismal identity.

This year I got to preach the story from the gospel of John, where Jesus, having recently been baptized, invites some of John’s curious disciples to ‘come and see,’ to come and spend the day with him. As I worked on the sermon, I tried to imagine the scene – the light sparkling off the water, a warm sunny day, and I was very curious when we were in Israel to see if the scene would be anything like I imagined it. It wasn’t really. We pulled into a parking lot full of buses and you couldn’t see the river. Instead what you saw were people. Crowds of people from all over, dressed in every way imaginable – there were the huge tour groups dressed in matching brown safari vests, there were pilgrims from Eritrea in beautiful white dresses and suits. And doves flying all over the place.

To get to the river you had to go through the crowds, down terraces with benches, to a roped off section of the river, which was also full of people, some being baptized, some dunking themselves, children splashing each other and no clear order about who should go where when. The water was the color of hot chocolate; it was the people who sparkled in it, not the water itself. There were the sounds of splashing and singing and praying and shouting in lots of different languages.

Pastor Bill, before we went down to get into the water, reminded us that in scripture water is often associated with chaos. In the creation story God takes the waters of chaos and makes shalom, the garden, with everyone and everything in right relationship. And in Jesus’ baptism, he entered the chaos, the mess of this world, to be with us and to restore shalom. We were then invited to get into the water (if we wanted to) as a way of saying ‘I am willing to enter into the mess, the chaos, in Jesus’ name, so I can bring shalom, good news to the world.’ Did I mention that you couldn’t see anything in the water? That it was brown? There were steps built under the water for you to wade in, and we couldn’t really reach the bottom…

Some of us are reading the book Liturgy of the Ordinary together, and the first chapter is mostly about baptism, about remembering each day as we wake up in the morning, that we are beloved children of God. As the title suggests, there’s an emphasis on the ordinary. The author quotes Martin Luther who reminded his church folk to consider their baptism as a garment to be worn daily. I’ve been thinking about that as I get dressed in the morning – I’m clothed in Christ. And I’ve been thinking about the chaos of the Jordan River too. Remembering that Jesus is with me in the murky waters of my mind, in the emotional turbulence of another day of online school, in the uncertainties ahead. Jesus is with me in the chaos and invites me to be in it with him, to follow him into the waters each day, remembering that I am clothed in Christ and God’s beloved child.








No comments:

Post a Comment